December 20, 2012

DIY Christmas Giftables: Earphone Cord Keepers with Printable Packaging


This Christmas season I've been trying to branch out to crafting not just jewelry but into other things that more people would like to have - today I made this earphone cord keeper with free printable packaging to share with you. It's easy, takes up less than an hour of your time and would be a cute stocking stuffer for your techie friend or an accessory for you! :)

What do you need:

Mini Cookie Cutters (in the shape of your choice)
Bamboo stick / really thin dowel
Cutter
Sandpaper


First, knead your clay and flatten it - then cut out your shape. I used this mini gingerbread man because it's so Christmas-y and I felt like it would be appropriate for the season :D


Next, use your sandpaper and dab on the clay until you get the texture of a gingerbread man. Basically, just use whatever materials you have to try and imitate the texture of the object you are making - this step is optional, you can always just leave it smooth. I just wanted to make it look more realistic.


Add your details using a contrasting polymer clay color - here I was trying to imitate icing. I also added an eye pin in case I wanted to attach it to my phone for convenience or something - this also is optional.


Next, poke your hole - after a few tries I realized the sharper end of the bamboo stick would produce a cleaner hole. Upon poking it, the clay would crack. Use the crack as a guideline and cut away two 1-2 mm  parallel lines. This would be where your cords will pass through. 


Poke two more holes and make two more sets of parallel lines connected to them. Now, check if your cords fit. Cut properly and clean it up. After this, bake according to your clay's instructions. Then you are done! :) Heehee, this looks like a gingerbread man that's bitten in different places o.o 



You can do tons of different shapes in different sizes. Download the packaging here. Assembly is like the printable packaging in my previous tutorial


Yay, I'm almost done my Christmas list. Just a few more days to go... how is your holiday season so far? Leave me a comment and enjoy the rest of the day! :)

Share this Post Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email This Pin This Share on Google Plus Share on Tumblr

16 comments :

  1. So cute, genius! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A straw could be used to poke out holes too ^___^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a straw would be too big in this situation @_@

      Delete
  3. These are so cute! Very creative!
    They sell things like these in stores but the are overpriced and sometimes not very good quality. These look so easy to make and easily customizable!
    Thank you for inspiring me, I am definitely going to try making a few different shapes and ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's kind of a trial and error, I find that if the clay is underbaked, it's better @_@

      Delete
  4. This is the cutest gift ever! I might even gift it to myself :D

    Thanks for sharing, I love polymer clay! :) It's seriously one of the best mediums ever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing! :D Love it! And very useful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been jumping around the posts on your blog and I have to say that you are one of the most creative people I've stumbled upon :) Keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments like yours inspire me to create more. Thanks Julia! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Aki,

    What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of gingerbread crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/gingerbread-crafts-for-christmas

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feature in the roundup Julia! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips
Join me on Facebook Follow me on Pinterest Follow me on Google+ Follow me on Bloglovin Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to RSS