DIY: Washi Tape Initial Necklace

I have acquired more washi tape these past few days (and probably will acquire more in the next few weeks), adding to the pile of washi tape I have in my possession. I have a ton of them, but most of the time, I don't know what to make! I have some gorgeous wider washi tape that don't really fit into my journaling tendencies, so I decided it would be best to make them into pretty necklaces - don't you think? I also love the new product I discovered, courtesy of Darice - Melt Art's Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel! See what I did with it!


Supplies:
  • Washi tape
  • White paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Rectangular pendant tray
  • Ball tool
  • X-acto knife
  • Letter stickers
  • Rectangle glass cabochon or Melt Art Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel
  • Necklace chain

Since washi tape is a bit transparent and my pendant tray is a lovely antique bronze, I opted to paint it. If yours is silver, you can totally skip this step! 


Lay out your washi tape onto the painted tray. Note that if you are using regular-width washi tape you will have to double it up and there will be a seam in the middle, so if it bothers you make sure to use the wider-width washi tapes.


Push the tape down in the corners with the help of your ball tool. If you don't have one, you may also use a pen that doesn't have ink anymore.



Cut the excess off with an X-acto knife. 


Here are the ones I've made with wider-width washi tape. I decided the doubled up washi from regular-width washi tape bothered me so I had to switch it over.


Stick your desired letter in the middle - I cut this on vinyl using my Silhouette machine, but if you are using Melt Art's Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel you may want to use paper-based stickers instead, as they may warp the vinyl.


Now scoop up a bit of that embossing enamel, making sure the whole tray is fully covered. You will want to dust off the excess. Now bake that in your oven - I did mine for 350 farenheit for about 5-10 minutes. 


And then you will get this gorgeous resin-like sheen. It hardens up pretty fast after you take it out of the oven - so if you have any bubbles, pop them with a pin and put them back in the oven for the surface to flatten. 


Isn't that gorgeous? It is much easier to use than diamond glaze in my opinion, and looks more professional. I think I will be making more! Don't want letters? You can also substitute them with shapes, silhouettes, pressed flowers and other things you can think of! 

Special thanks to Panda Hall for providing me with these gorgeous rectangle cabochon settings!


Have you tried Melt Art's Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel? What are your thoughts? Let me know in the comments below - have fun!

4 comments

  1. You always post the greatest things! Thank you for sharing! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww - thanks Katzi! You're welcome - hope you have fun making this if you try it! :)

      Delete
  2. I love the way these turned out! I've never used embossing enamel before, but now I totally want to! Thanks for introducing me to a new crafting material. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun and I think there may be tons of possibilities with it! Have fun using embossing enamel Bethany! :)

      Delete

Back to Top