DIY: Anthropologie-Inspired Gold-Dipped Round Drop Earrings

I am one of those people whose preference for jewelry varies day-to-day. I would absolutely love wearing one piece for days on end, and not want to look at it after that. That's why I usually make my own jewelry - it's much more inexpensive than buying every single piece I adore. I was browsing the internet the other day when I came across these gorgeous drops from Anthropologie. They were simple, chic and sophisticated - which is totally the look I'm going for these days. But I can't justify spending that much one simple (but really beautiful) earrings, so I thought of making a similar one for myself.


Supplies:
  • Polymer clay (in white)
  • Gold paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Wire
  • Sandpaper
  • Round cutter
  • Earring hooks
  • Jump rings
  • Flat-nose pliers

Knead you clay and flatten to your desired thickness. You can use a rolling pin (I primarily use a fondant rolling pin for this purpose) or even just a big heavy book with a flat cover. You will want to sandwich your clay between pieces of parchment or wax paper so it doesn't stick to the book and you don't gather up the dust particles on it or on the surface you are working on. 


Using a round cutter, cut out your shapes. I used a cutter I 3d-printed last year, but there are similar ones you can purchase at the craft store or online. If you find that the clay is sticking to your cutter badly, season your cutter with some baby powder or cornstarch before punching your circles out. Pop them in the freezer for a few minutes to harden, and then punch out your the holes for your jump rings. Bake them per instructions on your clay package.


Wait for them to cool after baking, and then take your sandpaper to shape them nicely - removing surface imperfections and smoothing out the edges. 


I kinda didn't want to paint them after this! I love how smooth and simple they looked as white drops.


Paint them with your desired acrylic paint color. DO NOT use the liquid gilding pictured here - it will leave you with a really sticky surface that won't fully cure. I just sanded mine back down again and started over with acrylic paint. You will want to dip your piece into the bottle of paint and just brush off the excess drops.  


Finally, attach your jump rings and earring hooks and you are done!


Sometimes using fancier-looking earring hooks makes a difference, as well.



Looking for more Anthro-inspired jewelry? Check out some of my past projects by clicking the description or the photos below:

DIY Jeweled Cuff
Diamond + Arrow Earrings
Jeweled Hairclip
Dagger Earring Studs
What color would YOU dip this in? Hurry and make them - happy crafting, friends!

No comments

Back to Top