DIY: Leather Feather Earrings

I love the smell of new, real leather - there's just something about it that you'd want to smell over and over again. I've always wanted some real leather earrings for a while, so I thought about making some from my own sketches. So see how I made mine and don't forget to download the template to make your own! They're perfect little gifts for friends AND they won't break the bank!


Supplies:
  • Leather (I used this gorgeous one from The Leather Hide Store)
  • Template (download at the end of the post, for personal use only)
  • Craft knife or Box cutter or Die-cutting machine
  • Scissors
  • Glue
  • Earring hooks
  • Jump rings
  • Leather hole punch
  • Flat nose pliers

I used my Silhouette Portrait to cut my my leather pieces. After 6 passes on my usual setting, it had left a decent pattern to follow but didn't cut all the way through. I'm still waiting on my deep cut blade for my Silhouette Curio (I cannot wait to try that for leather crafting) to see if it would cut it much cleaner! But short story, yes you can use your die-cutter to cut it, but you will still have to do some clean up, specially for complex shapes like this. It'll also leave your mat with little hairs, so you will have to clean that up too. You can definitely use a box cutter or a craft knife to cut the leather pieces too!



Use a combination of scissors and a craft knife to cleanly cut through the rest of the details. 


If you find lots of hairy edges sticking out, you can 'tame' them using a bit of glue - it acts like a gel and holds the hairy edges in neatly and in place. 


Use a leather hole punch to punch a hole for your jump rings. I'm not sure if mine's meant for leather, but it punched it nicely. 


Finally, attach your jewelry bits! Start with your jump ring first, and link both the earring and earring hook before closing it. You might want to make sure your earring is facing the right way before closing your jump ring. 




And you are done. It's not a super fast DIY but it's a really great gift idea for friends - and they're totally luxe looking! 

A big thank you to the Leather Hide Store for providing me with such pretty leather to play with - don't forget to check out their online store for a great selection of leather remnants perfect for crafting and DIYing. 




I hope you guys loved this tutorial and I hope I've given you another idea for a Christmas gift for your friends! Happy crafting, folks!

DOWNLOAD THIS HERE:

No comments

Back to Top